Saturday, June 3, 2017

Razor Review: Hone Type 15

A year ago I purchased the Hone Type 15, a CNC machined brass razor from the Netherlands coming in at a whopping 164 grams, and for the past year it has worked its way through my rotation. Like a lot of those razors there has been periods where I get on a "razor kick," where the results I have been getting have been great, so I will reach for that particular razor day-after-day. Lately the Hone Type 15 has produced those terrific results, causing me to continuously reach for it. Therefore I figured it would be an ample time to review it.

This razor is aesthetically pleasing, and quite frankly, a piece of art to look at. I am always excited to showcase it in a SOTD photo. The craftsmanship and design are top notch and very unique. 

The razor is mild, but the key is pairing with the right blade and this razor becomes extremely efficient. I have noticed Feathers, Polsilver, and Gillette Wilkinson Swords have delivered the best results with this razor. This in turn delivers a consistently smooth shave with no unpleasant aggressiveness. I will admit it was weird taking this huge, weighty razor and once it was put to the skin feeling that unexpected mildness. There is no overhang on the blade either on the side of the head adding to the sence of safety we'll say with the design. I dismissed his razor as too mild several months ago, and couldn't be happier to say I was wrong. 

The razor will develop a patena rather quickly giving it an awesome antique look. If you prefer you can take a polish or toothpaste and shine it right up. Andrew from Hone Shaving did personally tell me that once it is cleaned in this fashion it will hold it's shine easier, and I can personally say this was the case for mine once it was polished (speaking of which their customer service is top notch is you have any questions).

Since this smooth shaver has been my daily driver lately my skin has turned around and thanked me for it.  








No comments:

Post a Comment