Sunday, July 9, 2017

Razor Review: Mühle R41-Efficient, Workhorse and a Whole Lot of Unnecessary Hype


     The infamous R41. It's mere mention stops some cold in their tracks with fear. It's open comb design leaves significant blade exposure, and it is labeled "the most aggressive safety razor in the world," which is factually incorrect since many adjustable razors can go much higher on blade exposure.
   
    But not once do I recall cutting myself with the R41, even with sharper Feather and Kai blades on their first use!  This morning I did a three pass shave with a 2nd use Personna Lab Blue, with no cuts and no weepers. If anything using these sharper blades will cut down on irritation by eliminating touch ups and an extra passes. I was initially advised that the thicker Kai blades are a perfect fit for the R41's head design. Typically shaves with this razor leave a longer period of time with BBS, and I have timed up to 12 hours with a significantly smooth face.

     In my review of the Hone Type 15 I mentioned how it tamed sharper blades, and was ideal for a daily driver; on the flip side this makes smoother blades that might not be as sharp more efficient. This is an ideal razor if you have a few days growth you need to slay.

     I am going to come out and say this is an extremely efficient razor, that is overhyped and misunderstood. It would serve any wetshaver well to have this in their den, and it will continue to work its way into my regular rotation.

2 comments: