Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Razor Review: Rex Supply Co. Ambassador





If you were to combine the classic design of the Personna Precision or Gibbs razors, with sleek modern elements of laser engraving;
the versatile adjustability of the Futur, with the practical two piece design of the 34C, and then machine all that into 316L stainless steel, you would probably get the Ambassador from Rex Supply Co.

After getting the razor nearly a week ago I went to my trusty Gillette Silver Blue blades. Settings 3 to 4 have been my ideal settings for most adjustables, and I found this had a lot of bite at this level. I dialed it down to settings 1.5 to 1 over the next few days and it resulted in a smooth shave. Although smooth and comfortable, I found myself doing a touch up after three passes. Today switching up the blade, I decided to go with the Personna lab blue blades. I put the razor to the “feel” test on my skin and determined I would start with setting 4, and I was blown away at how smooth it was! The best shave I had with this razor yet, with blades I have dismissed as not so reliable nonetheless. So today was the day I fell in love with the Ambassador. 

The hollow threaded barrel handle allows water to go through the handle, and gives the razor a lighter weight and rinses out the components easier. There is not chatter with the longer notches when the blade is set. I also noticed the top cap has less curvature, making it easier to get into those hard to get spots. 

The finish is beautiful, and the only two razors I’ve had that beat it out in that category are the Timeless and Blackbird. 

What would be neat to see? 
A brass version of this razor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment